1.20.2009

A Great Day

First, a light-hearted perspective on today's events. Rich has been talking about the impending inauguration for days. Zoe was excited, though she didn't know exactly why. This morning, when I asked her if she knew what today was, she happily said, "Yes, Baran Obacko is coming over!" Hmmmm. Really? We had to explain that he would be on the TV, not actually in our house. Not nearly as exciting to a 3-year-old.

Below is a picture of the kids enjoying the joyful event. They marked the occasion with a picnic in the living room with Daddy.


Now, allow me to share an email my husband sent me after a few emails went back and forth regarding President Obama's speech...

A couple weeks ago, Zoe and I pulled out the Chutes and Ladders game she got for Christmas. There are four little cutouts of kids that you can choose as a game piece. Zoe chose the one she thought most resembled her. Then she handed me the one she thought looked most like me. He had brown hair and brown eyes, like me. His brown skin held no relevance.

I'm not naive enough to think our children will never notice that people are different. They are, and they will. But, because of what happened today, I'm convinced they'll be less likely to associate the ugly untruths that can come with that realization.

Well said, honey.

Take care,

ZMA's mama

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i couldn't possibly be more proud of my godson and his family.

Anonymous said...

Like you guys, sometimes it seems like Mark and I spend a tremendous amount of time trying to make sure Katie is not exposed to all the negativity and stereotypes in the world. I suppose that's all we can do - and be happy when we see other parents doing the exact same thing.